Tuesday, December 13, 2011

How to start an "effective I am sorry" dialogue not monologue

Did anyone hear about Joanna, a blind woman who used Twitter to fight her cause when her and her guide dog Olga were denied boarding on an EasyJet flight last Sunday.  
Stressed and needing support, her strategy was to get phone numbers for local media.  She tweeted:  

For the next 24 hours, hundreds of angry Tweets were written in support.  Steve Richards on Social Media Today wrote, "Eventually, once documentation proving that Orla was indeed a guidedog was received by Easyjet, the company moved Joanna on to the next available flight, free of charge. Only then did the Easyjet PR team make a public response on Twitter “Pleased to report @joannajones1 is rebooked unfortunately she did not have correct paperwork earlier.” -  Unfortunately their response was perceived to be too little, too late, with users condemning it as the #worstapology ever and the Easyjet bashing continued into the night, and Monday morning. The episode even warranted coverage on The BBC, The Guardian, and across online channels."
OK so how to say an effective I am sorry to Joanne?  I am guessing there were several times in the dialogue where a little empathy from the Easyjet personnel could have probably kept the dialogue between two people or maybe 3 or 4 vs. the world. 
The short answer is meet Joanne where she is!  To do that, communicate regret for what is happening right now and check in with how she is feeling and what she is needing now. 
When communicating to Joanna that airline regulations require Easyjet to see documentation for guide dogs and she was not able to produce it, I recommend:    
"Are you aware that airline regulations require Easyjet to see documentation for guide dogs to be allowed to fly on passenger planes?  
What did I also do - I assumed her innocence.
From reading about the story, she did not know, nor was it visible on their website for blind folks.  I could say something now but I won't.  If she said, No she did not know what she needed!  I recommend:
"You both are going to need help and let me see what I can do to help you right now."
If she showed any concern about a delay this might cause, I recommend:   
"When you think about being delayed, are you feeling nervous and want to know what will happen next?
I am guessing Joanna would say Yes!
Be transparent!  Do you know what will happen next?  If so, say just the next step, "I am uncertain or certain myself.  Or I know the next thing I need to do is check with this person (?) and are you willing to let me go do that now or do you have any other questions? 
What did I just do?  I gave her some choice about what happens next.  While Tweeting - I am guessing she was feeling helpless.  Having some power in a situation promotes more dialogue than having no power which raises adrenalinpossibly, voices etc.  
So as a reminder Easy Jet, I recommend: 
Communicate about the situation the person is in now
Assume Innocence
Offer what you can do - Let me see how I can help you
Be transparent about a possible next step and ask her if she will willing to let you take that next step? 
Do you have other other suggestions Joanna?  Or anyone else? 

No comments:

Post a Comment