Thursday, December 1, 2011

How a smiley, graffiti artist's death taught me about love Tuesday...

While a group of us gathered for tea after yoga on Tuesday, I asked for suggestions to write about in this blog.  A loving friend mentioned the sudden death of the local graffiti artist. Seems innocent enough...
I am not sure if my heart tightened or the thought 'criminal activity' crossed my mind or a sinking feeling in my stomach came first.  My next reaction was thinking 'No' in my mind and then looking at my friend questioning - I thought I liked her.  It is hard to explain but my vision seemed to tighten and she got smaller in my view, diminished in my mind and a part of me made plans to be weary of her...
And she is so much fun. loving, full of life.  What was I thinking?
Well I was still 'judging her.' I was not thinking with an open mind or heart, when I finally spoke up saying, "No is there anything else?"  
She continued to say, how he was a postman and so young, etc...  I pulled out my Iphone, found an article about his death and saw his shining, smiling, youthful face under his postman's hat and my heart warmed.  I continued reading, he got permission to paint and my world stopped!  
I finally became conscious of my static first impression, the journey I travel being triggered and was now back loving my friend who recommended this topic...
I realized for years when I saw graffiti paintings, I valued consideration for those who maintain the property, for those who look after the property and I wanted choice about where there was 'art' there or not even if I am on a train or bus traveling through a city.  When I saw graffiti in the past, I never considered that a graffiti artist would ever asked and had an agreement to paint...  
I have a sense of sadness at the way I prejudged Alvaro Angeles who died at 33. A friend of his shared,  "When a guy like him will work 10-12 hours, knowing he's a postman, getting out and coming back and doing a piece (graffiti) — that's dedication... that's love," Sesalem said.
I learned a real lesson Tuesday about love.   Marshall Rosenberg said, in Practical Spirituality, “Nonviolent Communication evolved from my attempt to understand this (universal) concept of love and how to manifest it, how to do it.”  Both Alvaro and I are in the business of inspiring love and I just didn't see it before now.  Thanks Alvaro, I have grown and learned from you even after your passing...
At least have a look at his beautiful smiling face on this photo....a work of art unto itself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment